Full Marks: 80 + 20
Course No: MGT411
Pass Marks: 32 + 8
Nature of the Course: Theory
Credit Hrs: 3
This course contains The Nature of Organizations, Introduction to Management, Evolution of Management Thought, Environmental Context of Management, Planning and Decision Making, Organizing Function, Leadership, Motivation, Communication, Control and Quality Management, Global Context of Management, Management Trends and Scenario in Nepal.
The basic objective of this course is to give a comprehensive knowledge to students about organization and help them understand the major functions, principles, and techniques of management. The course deals with basic functions like planning, organizing, leading, and controlling with special orientation to modern management practices which are essential to manage business successfully and other organizations.
- Unit 1: The Nature of Organizations (3 Hrs.)
- Unit 2: Introduction to Management (3 Hrs.)
- Unit 3: Evolution of Management Thought (5 Hrs.)
- Unit 4: Environmental Context of Management (5 Hrs.)
- Unit 5: Planning and Decision Making (5 Hrs.)
- Unit 6: Organizing Function (6 Hrs.)
- Unit 7: Leadership & Conflict (3 Hrs.)
- Unit 8: Motivation (3 Hrs.)
- Unit 9: Communication (3 Hrs.)
- Unit 10: Control and Quality Management (3 Hrs.)
- Unit 11: Global Context of Management (3 Hrs.)
- Unit 12: Management Trends and Scenario in Nepal (3 Hrs.)
- Recommended Books:
Unit 1: The Nature of Organizations (3 Hrs.)
- Concept of organization.
- Organizational goals – concept, purposes, and types.
- Features of effective organizational goals.
- Goal formulation – processes, approaches and problems.
- Goal succession and displacement.
- Changing perspectives of organization.
Unit 2: Introduction to Management (3 Hrs.)
- Definition, characteristics, and principles of management.
- Process and functions of management.
- Managerial hierarchy. Types of managers
- Managerial skills and roles.
- Emerging challenges for management.
Unit 3: Evolution of Management Thought (5 Hrs.)
- Introduction, contribution and limitation of Classical theory,
- Human relations and Behavioural science theories,
- System theory, Decision theory,
- Management science theory, and Contingency theory.
- Emerging management concepts: workforce diversity, outsourcing, knowledge management, learning organization.
Unit 4: Environmental Context of Management (5 Hrs.)
- Concept of business environment.
- Types of business environment – internal and external.
- Basic components of economic, socio – cultural, political, and technological environments.
- Social responsibility of business – concept and approaches.
- Areas of social responsibility.
- Business ethics – meaning and significance.
- Emerging business environment in Nepal.
Unit 5: Planning and Decision Making (5 Hrs.)
- Concept, types, hierarchy of planning.
- Process and importance of planning.
- Strategic planning.
- Environmental scanning – concept and methods.
- SWOT analysis.
- Formulation and implementation of strategic plans.
- Quantitative tools for planning.
- Decision making – definition and approaches.
- Types of decisions.
- Decision making under conditions of certainty and uncertainty.
- Problem solving – concepts, types of problem.
- Problem solving strategies.
Unit 6: Organizing Function (6 Hrs.)
- Concept and principles of organizing.
- Approaches to organizing – classical, behavioural, and contingency.
- Process of structuring an organization.
- Departmentalization – meaning and types.
- Delegation of authority – meaning, features, advantages, and barriers.
- Centralization and decentralization – meaning, advantages and disadvantages.
- Concept of organic and mechanistic views of organization.
- Types of modern organizational structures – matrix, team, and network.
Unit 7: Leadership & Conflict (3 Hrs.)
- Concept and functions of leadership.
- Leadership styles. Approaches to leadership – trait, behavioral, and situational.
- Group formation. Types and characteristics of groups.
- Conflict – meaning and types.
- Managing conflicts in organization.
Unit 8: Motivation (3 Hrs.)
- Concept. Theories of motivation – Need Hierarchy, and Motivation-Hygiene.
- Reward system to motivate performance.
- Motivation through employee participation – quality of work life, and self- managed teams.
Unit 9: Communication (3 Hrs.)
- Concept, structure, and process.
- Types of communication – formal and informal.
- Interpersonal and nonverbal communication.
- Barriers to effective communication.
- Enhancing effective communication.
Unit 10: Control and Quality Management (3 Hrs.)
- Concept, process, and types of control systems.
- Characteristics of effective control system.
- Quality control systems – concept of quality.
- Total Quality Management (TQM) – concept and tools.
- Deming management – principles and techniques.
Unit 11: Global Context of Management (3 Hrs.)
- Concept of globalization.
- Methods of globalization.
- Effects of globalization.
- Multinational companies – meaning, types, advantages, and disadvantages.
Unit 12: Management Trends and Scenario in Nepal (3 Hrs.)
- Growth of business sector in Nepal.
- Major industries in Nepal – manufacturing, export – oriented, import-substitution, and service sector. Existing management practices and business culture.
- Major problems of businesses in Nepal.
1. Griffin, Ricky W., Management, AITBS Publishers and Distributors, Delhi.
2. Hitt, Michael A., J. Black, Stweart, and Porter, Lyman W., Management, Pearson, India.
3. Robbins, Stephen P., and Coulter, Mary, Management, Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi