Is your Apple Mac running slower than before? Do you want your Mac to speed up but you don’t know how? Do you want you to clean your Mac for better speed? In this article, we’ll talk about ways to make your Apple Mac run faster. Here are some tips that you can use.
Tips to make your Apple Mac Run Faster
#1. Update your Mac’s software
Sometimes, an outdated software might be the reason for your Mac to run slow. Therefore, check for software updates and update your software if available. The software update might fix glitches and bugs which might be slowing your Mac down. Also, check if your apps are up to date. If not, then update the apps as well.
#2. Close unnecessary apps
Unnecessary apps running on the background will also slow down your Mac computer. Make sure there are not any unnecessary apps running and close them if it is running. This is because the background apps will be using the memory and CPU space, and slows the computer as a result.
- To see which apps are running, you can just take a glance at the docks on the bottom of the screen. If any apps have a dot underneath them, then it means that the apps are currently running.
- Now, you can close the apps that you do not want to run in the background.
- If you cannot see the dots, then you can turn it on. To do this, go to system preferences, click on Dock, then tick on ‘Show indicator lights for open applications’.
- In a alternative way, you can also view open apps by pressing Cmd + Tab to bring up the App Switcher.
#3. Edit the preferences pane
You need to remove items that you are not using from the preference pane. To do so, open the system preferences and check on the bottom row. These are the custom items added to your preference pane. Now, you can review the apps and remove the app that you are not using.
#4. Remove unwanted apps from starting at startup
There may be unwanted apps that run by itself when you first boot up the Mac. So, we need to stop these apps from starting up at booting.
How to remove unwanted apps from startup?
- Click on the Apple icon.
- Navigate to ‘System Preferences’.
- Then select ‘User and Groups’.
- After that, click on ‘Login items’.
- Now, check the list of apps you don’t want to run at startup and remove them by clicking on the minus button at the bottom of the window.
#5. Empty your Mac’s caches to run Mac faster
Although caches stores temporary files and apps so they can reuse them, but some of the apps may be using gigabytes of your storage. So, it is better to clear your cache from time to time.
How to view Mac’s cache?
- Run the Command+Shift+G from your desktop.
- Then, Go To Folder comes up.
- Type ~/Library/Caches/ there.
Now, you’ll be able to see the caches stored in your Mac. These caches will rebuild later itself so you can delete it to free up some space. You can delete caches for apps you do not use frequently or anymore. Apps like Safari, iTunes, Firefox allows you to delete the cache from within the apps itself.
#6. Remove your Safari’s cache
Most of us will be using Safari the most on our Mac. Also, Safari may have a lot of caches stored in it. Clearing this cache will help improve your browsing performance. We have two different methods to remove cache from Safari and the method depends on the version of Safari that you have on your Mac.
How to remove cache from Safari?
- For the older version, open Safari and choose Safari and then, choose reset Safari. After that, tick Remove all Website Data while keeping all the other options unticked. Then, finally, click on reset.
- For the latter version, open the Preferences box and select the Privacy option. Then, click on ‘Manage Website Data’. Now, you can click on the ‘Remove All’ button to remove the caches and cookies from Safari.
#7. Turn off visual effect to run Mac faster
Visual effects used by the computer will also slow down the performance of Mac. So, if you turn off the effects, then Mac will run faster than with the visual effects on.
How to turn off visual effects on Mac?
- Open System Preferences.
- Then, click on ‘Dock’.
- After that, untick ‘Magnification’, ‘Animate opening Applications’, and ‘Automatically hide and show the dock’.
- Now, click on ‘Minimize windows using’.
- Then, lastly, change the ‘Genie effect’ to ‘Scale effect’.
#8. Organize desktop app clusters
Keeping too many items on your desktop might also be the reason that your Mac is running slow. How Mac works is that it keeps every desktop item like a desktop window. However, this means that Mac keeps these desktop items in the RAM so that it can how what is in the item. Therefore, organizing your desktop items will help to improve the Mac and make it run comparatively faster.
#9. Manage indexing by Spotlight
Spotlight is a tool that indexes the files on the system. However, indexing the file system takes a lot of time. As a result, it might slow down the performance of the Mac. Also, if you have applied for a software update, then it will take some time for re-indexing the file systems. To improve performance, you can stop indexing the apps that you don’t need to open in window.
How to manage indexing by Spotlight?
- At first, open system preferences.
- Then, click on ‘Spotlight’ pane.
- After that, click on the ‘Privacy’ Tab.
- Lastly, drag all the apps you don’t use so that Spotlight does not index it.
This way, you can improve the performance of your Mac.
Was this useful? Feel free to leave your feedbacks below.
- How To Use Your Phone As Webcam On Windows And macOS?
- Adobe Photoshop for iPad. Everything you need to know
- How to lock Google Drive on the iPhone and iPad?
- How to make a smartphone run faster by limiting the background process limit?
iOS6 days ago
New Apple Leak Reveals iPhone 13 Release Shock
App4 days ago
Twitter reportedly discussed buying social audio app Clubhouse for $4 billion
News3 days ago
Another 500 million accounts have leaked online, and LinkedIn’s in the hot seat
How To6 days ago
How to use torrent safely?
Social4 days ago
TikTok Rolling Auto-caption Feature
Technology3 days ago
Everything You Need to Know About the Dark Web
Social6 days ago
Facebook Tested Hotline as Live Audio Chat Rival to Clubhouse
How To4 days ago
How to know if someone blocked you in Instagram?