- We can distinct boot process in linux in 6 different stages
- These includes
- Run Level Programs
- Acronym for Basic Input Output System
- BIOS loads and executes MBR boot loader
- When computer is started, integrity test is carried put by BIOS. It does integrity test of HDD or SSD
- Then, searches, loads and executes boot loader program. Boot loader programs are on MBR
- MBR sometimes can be CD ROM, pen drive etc which have live installation of linux.
- BIOS provides control of system to boot loader program after boot loader program is detected.
- BIOS loads and executes MBR boot loader.
- Acronym of Master Boot Record
- Located in /dev/sda or /dev/hda, according to hardware. This means MBR is in 1st sector of bootable disk
- Has information about GRUB. (In old systems – LILO)
- Has size less than 512 bytes, with components
- Primary boot loader info (1st 446 bytes)
- Partition table info (64 bytes)
- MBR validation check (last 2 bytes)
- MBR loads and executes GRUB boot loader
- GRUB is Grand Unified Bootloader
- You can choose one if you have multiple kernel images installed in your system, else default will load
- GRUB displays in screen and waits few seconds where you can choose the kernel, else default kernel image is loaded.
- GRUB configuration file can be found in /boot/grub/grub.conf
- It contains kernel and initrd image
- GRUB loads kernel and initrd image
- Initrd is Initial RAM Disk
- Kernel is core of OS
- Complete control over anything is there with Kernel
- Executes /sbin/init program
- Init was the first program to be executed by Kernel which contains which has process id (PID)
- Kernel uses initrd as temporary root file system until the time when Kernel is booted and real root file is mounted. Necessary drivers are also there with initrd. These drivers help to access hardwares and harddrive partitions.
- System executes run level programme
- Available run level are
- 0 : Halt
- 1 : Single User Mode
- 2 : Multiuser with no NFS
- 3 : Full Multiuser Mode
- 4 : Unused
- 5 : X11
- 6 : Reboot
- Identifies default initlevel and loads required programs [initlevel is obtained from /etc/inittab)
- Identifies default run level (By executing “grep initdefault/etc/inittab” on system)
- Most of the time 3 or 5 is set as default run level
- Above mentioned runlevel have their own directories
– Run level 0 – /etc/rc0.d/
– Run level 1 – /etc/rc1.d/
– Run level 2 – /etc/rc2.d/
– Run level 3 – /etc/rc3.d/
– Run level 4 – /etc/rc4.d/
– Run level 5 – /etc/rc5.d/
– Run level 6 – /etc/rc6.d/
– In the /etc/rc.d/rc*.d/ directories, we can see program starting wuth S and K
– S : Programmes start with s are needed while system startup
– K : Programmes start with K are needed while system shutdown
– Startup programs are executed while system start ups amd while shutdown, there is kill program
|BIOS||Basic Input / Output System | Executes MBR|
|MBR||Master Boot Record | Executes GRUB|
|GRUB||Grand Unified Boot Loader | Executes Kernel|
|Init||Executes Run Level PRograms|
|Run Level||Executed From /etc/rc/rc*.d/|
People are Loving
A Complete and Powerful Guide for Google Search Console (GSC) 
Google Search Console (GCS): Google Search Console is a webmaster tools which helps to check the website statistics and index...
Blue Screen Error on Microsoft Surface Pro: Fix it with some Simple Methods
The latest Microsoft Surface Pro models have great functionality. But they’re not immune to the common issues you face in...
8 ways to grow your Tiktok followers and get famous
Are you wondering about how to grow your Tiktok followers? TikTok is one of the latest social media sites, and...
Tips and Tricks to Make Siri More Useful
Everyone has love and hate relationship with Siri. Siri is Apple’s voice controlled digital assistant of iOS. Siri is powered...
How to remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10?
Browsers Overview Many people use Google Chrome browser, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari Browser, and some of the professional user...
August 7 @ August 7 - August 7
10 Hits in 30 Days
Share Market4 weeks ago
IPO Result of Manakamana Smart Laghubitta Bittiya Sanstha Limited. When will Manakamana Smart Laghubitta IPO Result Publish?
Computer4 weeks ago
People are using these 8 easy tips to stop spam in their mail.
Auto Life2 weeks ago
Bike Tax Rate in Nepal [ 2078/79 – Latest Update ]
OPINION3 weeks ago
Nest Nepal Hosting Review: Is it worth buying Nest Nepal’s Hosting in Nepal?
Auto Life3 weeks ago
Suzuki Bikes Price in Nepal
Digital Marketing2 weeks ago
How to Choose Websites for Quality Link Building
Camera3 weeks ago
Insta360 Go 2 Price in Nepal with Specifications
TIPS2 weeks ago
How to remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10?