LINCOLN UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
FACULTY: COMPUTER SCIENCE AND MULTIMEDIA
COURSE: MASTER OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
YEAR/ SEMESTER:FIRST YEAR/SEMESTER ONE
MODULE TITLE: OPEN SOURCE TECHNOLOGY
CODE: MCSO 123
TIME ALLOWED:3 HOURS
Instruction to candidates
1. This question paper has THREE (3) Sections.
2. Answer ALL questions in Section A, VSAQ
3. Answer 7 questions out of 9 in Section B, SAQ
4. Answer 2 questions out of 3 in Section C, LAQ
5. No scripts or answer sheets are to be taken out of the Examination Hall.
Do not open this question paper until instructed
(Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable)
Very Short Answer Questions
Attempt all questions 17×2=141
1. What are the functions of kill and who command in Linux?
2. Write a PHP script to display the current time of day at the server with in awebpage.
3. Write a script to copy all files from /opt/test1 folder to /var/test2 folder on every Sunday of each week at 12 am.
4. What are the two most common ways to start and finish a PHP block of code?
5. What are open source software and other types of software’s? 6. Illustrate the difference between Linus and Unix.
7. Highlight the reason for using Shell programming.
Short Answer Questions
Attempt any seven (7) questions out of nine (9) questions [7×8=56]
- Define PHP. Explain Variables, Constants, Data types in PHP with examples. [2+6)
- Explain the Important features of Linux Operating system.
3. As a network administrator how could you inherit knowledge for Linu booting process and related file system to newly hired internee team i your office.
4.What are file permissions? Identify the different ways of setting fi permissions? Explain.[2+6]
5. Differentiate between Free Source and Open Source.
6. How can you create and edit files with Vi-Editor? Write commands for managing user accounts. [4+4]
7. How to start, terminate and write SQL programs in MySQL? Explain with DDL and DML SQL statement examples. [3+5]
8. How can you automate different jobs using cronjob tab and anacron tab? Explain with proper example.
9. Explain SQL and RDBMS. Explain DDL, DML and DCL with examples.
Long Answer Questions
Attempt any two (2) questions out of three (3) questions [2×15=30]
1. Do you think that current software world is shifting from proprietary software to open source software platform? Justify your opinion. Open source software is not-barely writing code and distributing it freely. We must follow some standard guidelines and structure. Analyze the fundamental characteristics of different open source licensing systems currently in practice. [5+10]
2. Everest Network Service Management Pvt. Ltd. published a job vacation advertisement in a standard daily newspaper for the system administrator. As a part of job one need to install different Linux distributions and must have detail analytical knowledge of different proprietary and open source software. To apply the job one need to submit the written application and separate sheet of paper with the solution for the following questions. Number in the parenthesis denotes the marking weightage.
a. Different Linux installation strategies -8
b. Concept of Kernel structure Apply for the above post with your solution for the above queries. Application letter is not necessary. -7
3. Using PHP and MariaDB/MySQL, how are the following activities done? Explain.
a. Database connection created,
b. Perform SQL query,
c. Process results,
d. Closing database connection
****BEST OF LUCK****