LINCOLN UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
FACULTY: COMPUTER SCIENCE AND MULTIMEDIA
COURSE: MASTER OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
YEAR/ SEMESTER:FIRST YEAR/SEMESTER ONE
MODULE TITLE: OPEN SOURCE TECHNOLOGY
CODE: MGT 513
TIME ALLOWED:3 HOURS
Instruction to candidates
1. This question paper has THREE (3) Sections.
2. Answer ALL questions in Section A, VSAQ
3. Answer 7 questions out of 9 in Section B, SAQ
4. Answer 2 questions out of 3 in Section C, LAQ
5. No scripts or answer sheets are to be taken out of the Examination Hall.
Do not open this question paper until instructed
(Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable)
Very Short Answer Questions Attempt all questions
1. Write any two differences between Managerialand Technical Communication.
2. Why does an individual need to follow good etiquette within an organization?
3. Differentiate between high-context culture and low-context culture.
4. Define Kinesis and Haptics of Communication.
5. Write down the types of interview and their function briefly.
6. Define agenda.
7. Why does one need to research oneself before applying for any job?
Short Answer Questions
Attempt any seven (7) questions out of nine (9) questions [7×8-56]
1. Explain in detail the communication process. Discuss the barriers of effective communication and measures to eradicate them. [3+5]
2. What is a meeting? Why are meetings conducted? With a meeting minute elaborate the components of a good meeting minute. [1+3+4]
3. Elaborate the components of formal report.
4. Write the strategies to make your oral presentation effective.
5. Explain the importance of business etiquette, and identify the key areas in which good etiquette is essential.
6. What is persuasion? Why is it of such importance in the corporate world? Elaborate AIDA Model used for persuasion. [1+3+4]
7. What is ethnocentrism? Write down the guidelines to minimize/avoid ethnocentrism.
8. List four general guidelines for using communication technology
9. How do you handle questions after speech? Explain.
Long Answer Questions Attempt any two (2) questions out of three (3)questions [2×15-30]
1. Study the given case carefully and answer the questions asked at the end.
Mr. Robin Williams, the president of Bucks Run Software Pvt. Ltd. flew in from the US to Nepal for a meeting where all the department heads provided presentations on their activities and results. The engineers were technically fantastic and knew their jobs but were very poor at presenting. They often had too much information on their slides and they would read from them. Some of them were visibly very nervous and some others were unfocused and would go off in a different direction. The President also felt the format of the meeting was ineffective and asked the Director of Human Resources, Mr. Shailesh Karanjit to arrange training for the engineers.
A. If you are to be the Director Human Resources, what sort of training would you arrange for the engineers so that they can give a better presentation the next time? 
B. Also, suggest ways to ensure that the meetings are conducted effectively in the future days.
2. You manage the conventions department for a hotel, where you supervise an employee named Robert. Robert is responsible for meeting with companies that hold events at the hotel. This morning, you received the following email from Robert:
To: Naomi Simmons
From: Robert Marshall
Can we purchase a laptop for the department? I think it would be great to have one available for client presentations.
Thanks! I’ll look forward to using it for Pepsi on March 1, when I have a meeting scheduled with the division president.
Respond to Robert’s email. You won’t be able to approve this request for the following reasons:
⚫ You have no budget for this capital expense. It’s possible to budget for this next year, but you’re not sure a laptop just for client presentations would be worth the expense. You really don’t see the point because you recently spent a lot on printing beautiful materials, which Robert takes to clients with him.
• Robert started work at your company only one month ago. Although you encourage ideas, you do not like Robert’s presumptuous tone.
⚫ Also, you’d like to encourage Robert to put more time and thought into his ideas. Although not a huge expense, a laptop for your department would need to be justified and Robert would benefit from supporting his suggestions more convincingly.
3. Write a job application for the post of IT officer, published in Daily Mail newspaper, UK of 7th September 2021. You can address Amy Gomez, Human Research Manager, ITechArt Company, London, UK. Also prepare your updated resume.
****BEST OF LUCK****