Are you irritated by the low internet speeds? A lot of people often complain about slow internet services as their internet isn’t as fast as they need it to be. Same like others I was very pissed off with a lot of buffering on the Internet, even youtube videos weren’t playing.
So, I researched this problem on Google and found out some ways. So thought to share among you all. Let’s practice these best ways to improve your internet speed and take it to the next level.
Not sure how your internet speed is faring? You can check out through an internet speed test. Okay, let me tell you how.
How to know your Internet speed?
You can use the speed test application from the Microsoft store but you can also go to their website which is speedtest.net to run the test. The ping measured in the milliseconds will let you know how fast you get a response after you send out a request. The lower the number the better. The fast ping means a more responsive connection.
You can also check the download speed to know how fast you can pull data from the server to your computer and your upload speed is how fast your data is uploaded to the server.
Now, let’s improve your internet speed if it’s too low than you think you should get.
How to improve your Internet Speed on your computer?
#1. Modify your DNS Server
DNS stands for Domain Name System. Simply it’s a process that translates domain names into IP addresses. Using DNS servers not assigned by your ISP can make your internet faster.
To change the DNS server follow these steps:
- Go to the Control Panel and Open Network and Sharing Center
- Click on change adapter settings
- Right-click on the Ethernet and select properties.
- Select IPV4 ans its properties
- Click on use the following DNS server addresses
- We are going to use Google’s DNS server i.e
- Write 8888 on the Preferred DNS server and for alternate DNS server enter 8844
- Close on Ok after you are done.
- Note: You can also use other free domain name servers as your wish.
#2. Turn Off Background Apps
Many of you may not know background apps also makes your internet speed slower. So make habit of turning off the apps run in the background even if you re not using them.
To turn off the Background Apps follow these steps:
- \Click on the Start Menu and Select Settings
- Click on Privacy
- Then on the left panel scroll down and find background apps
- Now just select the apps and turn it off which you don’t want them to run on the background.
#3. Turn off Peer to Peer Updates
- Go to settings and click on Updates & Security
- Click on Advanced options
- Click on Deliver optimization
- Down there toggle to switch off the downloads from other pcs
#4. Disable Windows Updates
- Go to search bar and type services
- Scroll all the way down and double click on Windows update
- If the status of the service is running, click on Stop
- Now change the startup type from automatic to disable
- Apply OK to save the changes.
#5. Change Wi-Fi Channel
If your only means is connecting your internet via Wi-Fi it may benefit you to change the wireless channel on your router. If you have multiple users on the same Wi-Fi channel that can slow down the internet for everyone on that channel. It is quite common in apartment buildings or tightly packed neighborhoods.
So check out the channels through wifi analyzer and identify which area of your channel is congested Chane the settings of the Wi-Fi channel to improve your internet speed.
#6. Disable Large Send Offload
Large Send Offload is a technique of improving network performance while at the same time reducing CPU overhead. It sounds great at theory but it has been known to cause performance and slowdown issues.
So to disable it follow these steps below:
- Type Device Manager on the Search Bar
- Go to Network Adapters and Select the Wireless Adapter
- Click here and go to Advanced options, select Large Send Offload V2 IPV4.
- Set its value to the disabled.
- Also, make disabled to the Large Send offload IPV6.
- If you get any issues, you can enable it anytime.
#7. Adjust Internet Bandwidth
Your computer keeps away 20 % of your Internet bandwidth for its operating system and other related tasks which means you only have 80 percent of your bandwidth you can actually use.
Follow the steps to get that 20 % back for you to use:
You will only be able to do it if your group policy editor is enabled. If you are using PRO Edition OS you will get it by default. But if you are using Home Edition then you need to enable the group policy editor.
Okay, now follow these steps to adjust internet speed:
- Select the Windows key + R and Open the run
- Type gpedit.msc on that run bar and click run
- Now on the left side click on Computer Configuration
- Double click on Administrative Templates
- Now Open Network and QoS Packet Scheduler where it says limit reservable bandwidth.
- Click on the settings and Enable the bandwidth. Set the Bandwidth limit to 0 and apply it.
Keep following ICTByte for similar posts.
March 13 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
EVENTS5 days ago
Want to learn about the Stock Market from Zero Level? This event by CSITAN Purwanchal will be helpful to you!
How To6 days ago
How to pay worldlink internet bill ?
How To7 days ago
How to pay Vianet internet bill ?
NEPAL3 days ago
Charges you need to pay while selling or buying a share in Nepal
NEPAL3 days ago
Jyoti Life Insurance Company Limited (JLICL) IPO Result Check. Where and how to find it?