If you’re a regular YouTube user, you’re probably familiar with most of the platform’s features. However, there are a few smart features that many people may not know about, which can help you use YouTube more efficiently and effectively. Here are six of those features, along with instructions on how to use them:
- Watch Time: If you’re someone who spends a lot of time watching videos on YouTube, it can be helpful to know how much time you’re spending on the platform. To check your “watch time” on YouTube, simply open the app, tap on the profile icon at the top right, and select the “Time Watched” option. From here, you can see details of how much time you’ve spent watching videos on specific days.
- Reminder to take a break: If you’re conscious of the amount of time you spend watching YouTube videos, you might find it helpful to set a reminder to take a break. To do this, go to your profile, select the “Time Watched” option, and tap on “Remind me to take a break.” From here, you can set the amount of time you want to watch before receiving a reminder to take a break.
- Zoom: YouTube has recently introduced a feature that allows you to zoom in on a video up to eight times. To use this feature, simply play a video on YouTube and use two thumbs to zoom in.
- Autoplay: If you like to watch song videos on YouTube, you might be familiar with the autoplay feature, which automatically plays another video as soon as the current one ends. If you don’t want to use this feature, you can disable it by going to your profile, selecting the “Time Watched” option, and scrolling down to “Auto-play on mobile and tablet.” From here, you can toggle the feature on or off.
- Ambient mode: YouTube’s ambient mode is a feature that makes the colors of YouTube videos more attractive by adding a gradient to the status bar and video title bar based on the color of the video. To turn this feature on, go to the YouTube app on your mobile device, play a video, and then go to the Settings option at the top right. From here, select “Ambient Mode” to turn the feature on.
- Incognito mode: Incognito mode is a feature that’s available in most web browsers, and it allows you to do something online without leaving a trace of your activity. On YouTube, incognito mode is useful if you want to watch videos without affecting your recommendations or adding them to your watch history. To turn on incognito mode on YouTube, go to your profile, select the “Turn on Incognito” option, and confirm. When you’re finished using incognito mode, go to your profile and select “Turn off Incognito” to return to your normal account.