History of Open Source Initiative (OSI)
- 1983: Richard Stallman launched GNU project [to write OS with free use if source code]
- 1985: Stallman published GNU Manifesto
- 1989: First vesion of GNU General Public License published
- OSI formed in 1998 as an educational, advocacy organization
- Term “open source” was coined at session on 3rd February, 1998 in California after Netscape Source code was announced to be released
- OSI was founded on 1998 February, founders were Eric Raymond and Bruce Perence with mission of education and advocacy.
- OCT 1999: OSI published list of approved license
To be continued…
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.